Sunday, June 29, 2008

ChurchSearch: Round 1, Week 2

First United Methodist Church, Frisco, TX was my worship destination today.
Distance: 7 miles
Time: 15-20 minutes

Although farther in distance than FUMC McKinney, FUMC Frisco is a straight shot through undeveloped land and actually takes less time to navigate than the city streets and freeways of McKinney.

Frisco FUMC is building a new 600 seat sanctuary and is currently meeting in the Family Life Building. During the summer the service is casual -- at least I am assuming it is because it is summer. The choir was in civvies, the ministers in shirtsleeves. Hymnals were scarce and songs were projected onto a screen at the front. I gathered from announcements that were made that technology will be a big part of the service in the new sanctuary as well. At least the hymns chosen were from the hymnbook and were not repetitive praise songs. One can praise in song without being repetitive! The doxology, Lord's Prayer, and Apostles Creed, as well as the Gloria Patri were part of the service. The choir sang "On Holy Ground," an anthem I like and they did it justice. Applause followed, along with a number of enthusiastic "Amens."

The people were very welcoming and friendly. That could well offset any worship differences from my standard. I engaged in conversation with one of the greeters who then introduced me to her husband and invited me to their Sunday School class. The husband, P. provided me with visitor information packets. I sat alone, but met the ladies behind me during the greeting time, and the lady at the other end of my row made a point of welcoming me, finding out that I am a singer, and introducing me to the Minister of Music. She also invited me to come to the Frisco Senior center and participate in their musical activities. About that time P. came over with the pastor and introduced me. Pastor M. has a Jackson connection, a nephew that is youth minister at a Methodist church that reminds me very much of Frisco FUMC.

The sermon was about the Mission that we all have in the world, and about knowing what we need to do and trusting God for a way to do it. The delivery was informal, chatty, and at times interactive. FFUMC is definitely on my Round 2 list.

No comments: