Saturday, June 14, 2008

I did it!

My new avatar shows the new me: 50 pounds lighter and 18" thinner. I have done this over the last 8 months with the help of my friend Jenny Craig. I won't be showing off the new me in a bikini like Valerie Bertinelli, but I am feeling better, more energetic, and am enjoying being able to get on the floor with my grandchildren and then being able to get back up again. My aging, creaking knees still get the best of me at times, but they have 50 pounds less to support. If an article in AARP magazine several months ago was correct, each 10 pounds of weight loss means 40 less pounds on the knees. I'm not a mathematician so I don't know how that works, but if true, it means my knees are bearing 200 pounds less stress.
Now the hard part comes: keeping it off. I chose Jenny Craig because I have not enjoyed cooking in the years that I've been single again -- actually quit enjoying it for a few years before I became single again -- but had found myself eating more fast food and making meals of fritos and bean dip with a hot fudge sundae. All of those bad habits finally got the best of me and last September, I made the decision to get healthy again. Jenny's meals have been easy and tasty; not having to keep leftovers, having portions controlled, and being able to have a slice of cheesecake without having to purchase a whole one and then having it call my name has been a major part of my success.
Along the way, I have become more conscious of portion size, although what I ate at meals has never been the biggest part of my weight problem; it's all the "grazing" that I have done out of boredom, stress and, at times, depression. I'm still not exercising as faithfully as I should be. Getting ready for an out of state move has been my major source of activity the past few weeks, and will constitute a major portion of my activity after I get to my new home next week and start the unpacking process. I will also be living a few blocks from my 6 year old, very active, grandson, and I'm sure he will help to keep me active as well.
I will miss seeing my counselor, Eve, at Jenny Craig each week. She has been so positive, full of praise and encouragement, and has made my weekly visits something to look forward to, not to dread. Thanks, Eve, and thank you Jenny.

2 comments:

pkb said...

Wow... the new you looks wonderful! I too pray for you to keep thyself thin. I know the difficulty of it. Just keep reminding yourself of how long you want to ENJOY those grandkids!

Kaye said...

You look terrific! Great job on the weight loss!