Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Warm Welcome to North Texas -- Not!

The previous owners moved out of my house in May. The day they had the utilities cut off, I called and established accounts to get the electricity and water on and in my name -- no problem. I tried to call the gas company and got a busy signal. After several unsuccessful tries, I went back to my packing and figured that the gas didn't really need to be on until I got there. Only the water heater, fireplace, and furnace are gas. Then a couple of days before I was due to leave TN, I suddenly realized that I had not ever gotten back to the gas company. This time I persevered and finally got to talk to a human, and set it up to have the gas turned on June 19, my driving down day.

I was looking forward to a hot shower after the drive, part of which was with car air conditioning on the blink. What a rude shock to find out that the gas company would not turn the gas on because of some problem with the pressure, that a plumber would have to come out and it wouldn't be until Monday, and then the city had to inspect, all before the gas company would turn my gas on. As if the aggravation were not enough, I would have to pay between $400 and $5oo for the comfort of a hot shower.

My first plumber, sent by the home warranty folks, came out yesterday, found no problem, but advised me that he was not licensed to do the pressure test and that I would have to get someone licensed by the city. Okey Dokey, so I call the city inspection department and get a somewhat snippy woman on the phone. She is long on attitude and short on information until I ask her, "Work with me, will you? I am brand new in town and know nothing about how the system works." The attitude calmed a bit, but I was still left to find my own plumber from the phone book.

After a couple of calls, I finally reach a plumber who is licensed to do the pressure test. That plumber is on the premises now, and I am nervously awaiting his verdict. If he finds that everything tests out fine, then I have to wait for the city to send out an inspector, then the city tells the gas company and the gas company comes out to turn on the gas. Would you like to take bets on how many more days I will be without hot water?

So much for having a "warm" welcome to McKinney -- the only warm thing so far is the weather.

1 comment:

pkb said...

You are too funny...that was a great post!! Very well written, humourous yet to the point!!

"A warm welcome!" ha

~P